In the first of a 4 part series on making money work for your business, we look at how investing in a clear marketing plan can boost your business exposure.
Get yourself seen
The right kind of marketing is vital for growing your business – you can’t just place an ad in the Yellow Pages any more. And we think online marketing gives you the most bang for your buck. It might seem complicated at first, but there are plenty of resources to help you learn the ropes. If you’re clear about what you want, and have the budget and time to do it right, digital marketing gets real results.
Bring your website up to date
Almost all business happens online these days, making a website a must for any company, large or small. An outdated or inadequate website makes it look like you’re neglecting your shopfront – but more importantly, it could lose you sales. Did you know that more than half of online searches are now made from people’s phones? But if your site isn’t designed for mobile, those searchers often can’t use it. And business customers visit prospective sites an average of 12 times before making contact –assuming they like what they see.
- Have clear goals: choose one or two simple objectives to focus on – do you want to gather customer details? Or bring more visitors to your website? By having a clear idea of what you aim to achieve, you can quickly work out whether your marketing is successful.
- Who are you talking to? Stop and think about your customers: what do they want? Do they currently use your competitors? Where do they live or work? So what will they want to see? Considering your audience during a campaign aligns the message you are trying to put across, streamlining your customer’s experience.
- Get feedback from current customers: ask them how they came to your website, or where else they go for similar business. At LDF we use global feedback engine, Feefo, to collect customer feedback, and are proud to hold a 4.9 out of 5 star rating and a Feefo Gold Trusted Service award.
- Learn from your competitors: have a look and compare what they’re all doing online. Their ideas might not work for you, but it could help to inspire you when you’re making your own plans. By keeping an eye on what your competitors are putting out there, you can start to understand what your customers may engage with.
- Decide on a plan: With your goals in mind, pick a few marketing techniques (maybe Google AdWords, banner ads or group buying sites) that fit your budget, your audience and your resources.
- Track your results: keep checking that your marketing is going in the right direction. Put more money and effort into the parts that work, and change or drop the ones that don’t. Online analytic tools, such as Google Analytics, give you the full picture as to how well your marketing campaigns are working, and allows you to take away learnings for improvement.
Download our ’11 ways to make money work for your business’ guide to learn more about where to invest in your business to maximise your potential.