We're pretty sure none of these excuses were accepted by HMRC..
Completing a tax return is a chore taxpayers dread at this time of year. Millions put it off for months and file last minute - but there are always some who fail to make the cut-off. Last year the taxman heard some extremely suspect excuses. Here’s a selection of the best:
- I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a postbox or get an internet signal.
- I fell in with the wrong crowd.
- My pet dog ate my tax return…and all the reminders.
- Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
- I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
- My pet goldfish died.
- After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t think of anything else.
- I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park.
- My husband told me the deadline was March 31st and I believed him.
- I was in Australia.
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs and that’s where my tax return is.
- A work colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.
- I had a run-in with a cow.
With the deadline fast approaching, now is a good moment to look at some of the key things small businesses need to bear in mind to make sure they are managing their tax affairs effectively.
Thousands of businesses are taking advantage of our tax finance option. Giving them opportunity to invest in other areas of the business.
Get in touch today and see how we can help you.